Man United Legends: 25 YEARS SINCE KING ERIC JOINED UNITED

King Eric Cantona
King Eric Cantona

It is 25 years to the day since Eric Cantona signed for Manchester United and proved the missing ingredient required to conquer English football.
Alex Ferguson's masterstroke in raiding fierce rivals Leeds United for their flamboyant forward solved a striking problem and transformed the Reds into the most powerful force in the land.
As has been well documented, the move came about when Leeds chairman Bill Fotherby telephoned his opposite number Martin Edwards to make an enquiry regarding Denis Irwin's availability. It seemed a fanciful idea and Sir Alex dismissed it but asked about Cantona's situation.
"I said absolutely no way and that it was impossible," recalled Fotherby. "But I obviously knew what [manager] Howard Wilkinson felt about him. I rang Martin back and said: 'I can't believe this but Howard is willing to let the boy go'."
Sir Alex could not believe his luck and was like the cat who got the cream at the press conference unveiling the Frenchman. "The fans' reaction has been very positive and very, very good. Our supporters recognise this is a Manchester United player that is coming," purred the Reds boss. "He's an exciting player and he has got all the assets of the best players in the world.
"We look at it as progress for him. He's coming to a big, big club. Leeds is a fabulous, big club, but I think he'll find that Manchester United is even bigger. And that's maybe the stage he needs. He was thrilled at being able to join us and I'm sure he is looking forward to it."
And what about the man himself? "In any walk of life, whatever you do, you learn things every day," he said. "The day you stop learning is the day I retire from the game in general.
"When I arrive at a new club, I hope that I will be there for a reasonable amount of time. Arriving here in Manchester, I hope it's for a long time. I'm here, first of all, to win a place in the team. It's my duty to score goals and I'm also here to bring something to the team. We all have the aim of bringing honours to Manchester United."

Source:


See Also:

Eric Cantona ● Best Goals Ever




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jose Mourinho forced Mark Clattenburg into quitting refereeing role - Express

Manchester Derby: "IT WAS A CLEAR PENALTY" said Jose Mourinho - Official Manchester United Website

Man Utd v Man City: Pep Guardiola not thinking about breaking record - BBC